What is the function of our Kidney?
All of the blood in your body passes through the kidney several times a day. The kidney removes waste products from the blood and regulates the water fluid levels in the body.
When your kidneys are damaged, waste products and fluid can build up in your body. That can cause a reduced amount of urine, swelling in your legs, knees and ankles, nausea, weakness. Over time, it can lead to more severe problems such as high blood pressure and even kidney failure.
Your kidneys can affect the health of your heart.
Your heart and kidneys are two important organs in your body. They both work together to keep you healthy. When the kidney is affected, you become more prone to heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) diseases as well.
Acupressure for Kidney Health
A simple way you can take charge of your kidney’s health is to massage an acupressure point called “Yongquan”. This point stimulates a key point on the Kidney channel. Rubbing it may be sore, but this means you’re hitting the right spot. It stimulates your kidney function and relieves symptoms such as high blood pressure, night sweats, hot flashes, hypertension, insomnia, anxiety, and more.
The acupoint is located at the bottom of each foot. Starting with your left foot, massage this point using your thumb at your own comfortable pace.
Food to Support Kidney Health
There are many foods that you can take to nourish and support kidney health.
For example, food looking black in colour that contains natural melanin such as:
- Black fungus has the effects of tonifying the kidney, cooling blood, stopping bleeding and promote the healthy flow of qi.
- Black dates contain many essential vitamins and proteins that we need. In Chinese Medicine, it is commonly known that the red dates focus on nourishing blood, while the black dates focus on nourishing the kidneys. Due to their sweet flavor, they can replace sugar in most receipts while still nourishing the kidney.
- Black sesame has the effect of nourishing the liver and kidney. It has a therapeutic effect on dizziness, white hair, hair loss, waist and knee soreness caused by insufficient energy in the kidney.
- Black bean is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, lecithin and various vitamins. Besides that, it also contains melanin which has the effects of nourishing and strengthening the body and promoting blood circulation. It is especially suitable for patients with kidney deficiency.
- Water helps to flush out toxins that can lead to bacterial infection or kidney stones, along with harmful particles in the blood.
- When kidneys fail, they can no longer remove excess potassium. Hence, the fact that red bell peppers are low in potassium makes them ideal for the kidney diet. They are also an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as vitamin B6, folic acid and fiber.
- Cranberries can prevent the development and growth of ulcers and bacteria in your urinary tract.
When a person reaches a certain age, physical activities usually become a challenge due to the failure or degrade in our kidney function. Hence, it is very important to take care of and nourish your kidneys for wellness and longevity. You can also check out our kidney care tuina treatments.